Thursday, May 30, 2013

GPS / MapMyRun

This post is going to be about my experience with GPS, running maps, and overall keeping a fitness journal.

I believe in fitness journals!  They are great for helping with accountability and even more so for planning and goal setting.  The great thing about fitness journals is that they can be as detailed and thought out as you want or as plain and basic as you want.  Personally, I only record races and miles ran or biked.  Side note .... I should probably keep a nutrition journal also but the fear of seeing how many calories I consume from my food .... and who am I kidding, my drink!

I have used two programs: MapMyRun and the Garmin Connect (which goes with my gps)

I started with MapMyRun and used a wristwatch to approximate my mile splits.  I would use MapMyRun to make a map and then stick with it.  I created many routes to run and was able to modify things so that I could get a certain number of miles, or at least close.  It was a great beginning way of tracking my progress.  I logged miles into the program as well and was able to do some cool things with the program.  There are a lot of other programs/apps out there like this and I am sure all of them have perks.  Find one that is right for you and start using it!

At some point I transitioned to GPS technology by purchasing a Garmin 400 series.  This GPS watch has definitely changed how my runs/rides go.  I no longer had to worry about where I was going to run and where the mile splits were.  I simply had to take off and the watch did the rest.  There are certainly headaches that go with the watch such as: always looking down at it, losing the fun of running, and the GPS losing connection.  Personally I have not had any problems with the GPS losing connection, only running out battery during a run or two.  It is a unique experience and as you get more into running, I suggest using some type of GPS technology to help you on runs. 

The nice thing about the Garmin is it's uploading to Garmin Connect (web journal).  Although the process of uploading depends on the model, the concept is the same.  Get your runs/miles/rides on the computer and then there are a million things you can do with it.  The thing I use it the most for is seeing my weekly/monthly/yearly mile totals.  I set goals in January and using this feature helps me to see how close I am to reaching my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment