Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Stuck in a Rut

For a good three years I struggled with consistently running.  I found it really irritating actually.  I would start one week, build up my endurance, and watch it all go as I became lazy. 

The rut ended however, and for that I am especially thankful.

How did it end exactly?  I have three things that I think helped.

1. I signed up for races

Not only did I try to do at least one race a month, if not two, but I also mixed it up.  I have done trail runs, obstacle course runs, local races of course, and even some runs in Chicago.  This has helped tremendously.   The races themselves, though expensive, do always go to a great organization.  I found that the races were rewarding and began enjoying the thought of training.  So find some and sign up!

2. Spouse

My wife is a runner and has been especially supportive of my running.  She signs up with me and even did a half marathon (her second) and she didn't really want to do it.  She did it all to run with me.  That kind of support was huge for me.  If you don't have that, try and find a running buddy who will be able to build that with you.

3. Variety

Your training runs cannot be the same ole route every time.  This is just asking for a problem, at least in my experience.  I find that mixing it up by going to different places, running with different runners, and even the time of day will make it better.  Running is hard enough, but if you have to look at the same thing every time, it has got to be horrid.  Mix it up and add that variety to your runs.  I believe it will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment