Sunday, June 16, 2013

Fail

Just ran a 5K, the Kilbride Family Classic in Kankakee, IL.  I haven't been running a whole lot because my legs just don't seem right.  I think I need new shoes.

Anyway, I had what I would consider my worst 5K in 2 years.  I have recently done a little bit of speed work and some weight lifting since my 1/2 marathon in early May.  I guess by the middle of June I expected that my legs would be fine from the 1/2 marathon but I am starting to think that they aren't.  Not sure really what to base the poor time on.  For now though, I will continue to set new goals and do my best to achieve them.  I want to run a sub 24 minute 5K by the end of the year.  Last Thanksgiving I ran a 24:12 on a shorter course so I am oh so close.

Below is my bib for the Kilbride.  It says my time (25:55) and on the right it says, "Going Backwards".  This is how I feel right now but I post this picture and will keep this bib nearby so I remember it and use it as some motivation to do better.  My hope is by showing my weakness and failure others (including my cross athletes) will understand it is a part of running.  The good news is I always rebound and I am hoping to Do Work and Get Better.


1 comment:

  1. I ran my slowest 5K last SAT. In 2011, I was as fast as I had ever been, getting ready to break into the 21s for the 5K, then I got Plantar Fasciitis and had a windfall of other issues. My body just isn't "quite right" and keeps getting slower and slower. Ran a 25:51 on SAT and it wasn't for lack of trying. I'm trying to focus on the fact that I do this for fitness and pace does not define me. However, it's hard. So keep your head up, things will improve if you keep at it. Or maybe it's time to rest. You decide. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete