Wednesday, December 18, 2013

PR

Recently I ran the Jingle Bell Run here in Kankakee, IL.  This great race is ran all over for Arthritis funding and obviously has a Christmas theme.  This year I found myself running a 5K for the first time in a couple of months.  I had done a few trail runs as of late so my 5K racing had taken a backseat.

I had been working out pretty hard with the cross country team I coach and when you have 30 workout partners pushing you everyday, you are inevitable going to get better.  **another reason to run as often as possible with others.

Anyway, I had a goal of breaking 23 minutes in a 5K since my last one in which I ran a 23:03 and I knew I was really close.  The weather was frigid and that right away brought doubts.  The good news is, I had a game plan and stuck to it.

First mile I ran a 6:45 (my fastest split of any race I've ever ran)
Second and third miles I ran just over 7:10's
I finished 21:39 shattering my 23:03 by a large margin.

It always feels great to get a PR!



No comments:

Post a Comment